About Me

My photo
I'm 20 years old and engaged to the most wonderful man alive and I have the most amazing little dog there is. I'm a Texas girl and always will be, no matter how far from home I am.

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Changing the crazy dogs diet

So as I type this the psycho little dog of mine is having a spaz attack.  She's freaking out because she keeps tossing her toy in the air and it keeps hitting her in the face (she hasn't gotten the whole "catching" thing down just yet...). 

Anyway, yesterday was beautiful out, 70's, sunny, slightly windy, just perfect.  So me and my fiance decided to take Dessa for a walk at the dog park.  We got there and she was fine, actually she was very excited to get out of the car and see where we arrived.  We went to walk her through the gait which was an odd Z shape (probably used to slow dogs down in the even they got away from their owners) and Dessa just would NOT do through.  She has this problem alot, she gets scared of things she isn't used to...you should see when we try to take her out on trash day...it's ridiculous.  Well after 2 dogs went through and my fiance she still wouldn't budge so i picked her up.  All was going well, she was wagging her tail, sniffing bums, and prancing (as she does when she is very happy), she even peed.  Then my fiance noticed she was foaming. I figured it was just some drool bubbles...then it got worse.  She was acting fine but to be safe (for her and all the other dogs) we turned around and left.  When we got to the car she didn't want water (probably because she was scared of the bottle) and the foaming had stopped.  Now, she is up to date on her rabies and we had a close eye on her so she didn't eat anything she wasn't supposed to so I figured it was just stress but I still wanted her to get some water.  So we drove down the street to Unleashed by Petco to get a bowl.  When I got there I fell in love.  The store was beautiful, clean, and best of all...had TONS of all natural and organic stuff!  If you haven't been to one, you need to go!  Now, this brings me to the point of the whole post.  Food.  They had so much good food there!  I went for a bowl and ended up leaving with a doggy ice cream (which she very much enjoyed) and thoughts of natural foods running through my mind.  Right now Dessa is on Wellness, which is holistic and all natural, but I want more.  I was going to switch her to Blue (probably the organic one) but now I'm not sure.  I found some raw food and this mix stuff that looks like dry oatmeal with veggies and fruit.  Now I know this is going to put a HUGE hole in my pocket, but I could honestly careless.  I made a commitment when I got her to take care of her, but even more than that, she can't feed herself, it's up to me and knowing what I know about dog food...I just could never give her mediocer dog food.  So now I'm wondering if I should do raw food.  It might be better for her since she won't eat her kibble unless it has been moistened, but I'm not sure yet.  It's so difficult to find what I want in her food.  No by-products, chemicals, corn, chicken/beef (for allergy reasons), dyes, or artificial anything.  I want holistic, possibly organic, and the proper balance of nutrition for healthy living.  I want her to live long, healthy, and happy.  At peak performance at all times.  I want a healthy soft shiny coat and good skin.  So it's down to Blue Buffalo or a raw food diet.  Luckily I still have a few weeks before the last bag of her Wellness is out.  Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment